Welcome Y'all

Hopefully the name of this blog speaks for itself. I envision it being one of humor, exhortation, random musings, theological discussion, sports, and things that impact my life and could bless yours. Sometimes it might be a verse or a funny story, a sports score that has me up in arms or a profound truth that has hit me. I pray you find your visit here blessing your heart.

Friday, January 8, 2010

The Best Fiction

I am a big reader and let it be on record that I think I have identified the best work of fiction that I have read in as long as I can remember...

Redeeming Love
By Francine Rivers

Ladies (and gents), this book is one for the ages!  I know I am dramatic but I have read this book twice and I can't wait to read it once again.  It is one of the most powerful books I have read in that it will bring out emotions that no other fiction book has brought out in me... awe, sympathy, compassion, anticipation, disappointment, optimism, trust, and gratefulness.  It is amazing and one I would recommend to either male of female but it is a HOME RUN with every female that I know has read it. 

It is the fictional story depicting the book of Hosea that takes place in California's gold country around 1850.  It is a story of redemption and selfless love of God that changes lives in the most powerful ways.  I can't say enough about it.  A must read for anyone who likes to read fiction, spiritual books, historical books, love stories, or just interested in seeing how in the world God can take a prostitute and all the baggage that comes with that and changing her from the inside out through the love of a good Man. 

I don't want you to think it is your typical romance because it is far more than that... it is the story of a wandering soul.  A soul like mine that wanders from place to place looking for something that can only be filled by One thing.  A soul that knows deep down that it can never be more than it really is... a dysfunctional and dirty blemish amidst a myriad of pitiful, self-seeking, love starved stains on the garment of Christ.  And yet, there He is... wearing our sin and then washing it away.  A soul maybe like yours who knows there is more but doesn't want to find it there.  A soul that looks under every rock, behind every door, around every corner, in every person, at the bottoms of every bottle, and at the top of every heap always searching for that Thing that will fulfill.  

You will keep looking until you find Him.  

And when you do, He will fill you to the depths that you never knew you had and your cup will be running over.  It's joy, it's safety, it's faithfulness, it's beauty, it's love... nothing can compare.  In this book, we see her learn this life changing truth through the depths of despair to the heights of joy and everywhere in between.

You won't be able to put it down ... and He's not gonna let you leave without teaching you something powerful about Him.     

2 comments:

Anna K. said...

I've read this book and enjoyed it, but not as much as you do! I'll recommend another novel for you: "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. It's nonfiction and not about romantic love, but an excellent (and humbling) example of love in general and striving to see Christ in others. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Christi said...

I actually have that book on my bookshelf and have had for years. It has been on my yearly reading list for the past 5 years and STILL have not gotten to read it. I WILL read it this year if it kills me! My mom has been after me to read it forever and she loves it like you do. Thanks for the recommendation. :)