Welcome Y'all

Hopefully the name of this blog speaks for itself. I envision it being one of humor, exhortation, random musings, theological discussion, sports, and things that impact my life and could bless yours. Sometimes it might be a verse or a funny story, a sports score that has me up in arms or a profound truth that has hit me. I pray you find your visit here blessing your heart.

Monday, March 26, 2007

And the Madness Marches On...

Well, I have to respond to the past weekend of basketball scores, exits of the next tier of teams and the final four. Where shall we start...ahhh, the good 'ol Aggies.

I mentioned before I will have to give props where props are due and let's do that. Seriously, can we all pitch in and buy Billy Gillespie something. I have re-thought it through and I think they deserve more than an ice cream that I previously offered. The turnaround they have had in the last three years is nothing less than remarkable and even though they run around in those gosh awful looking colors, it did not hinder them from putting the ball through the hoop over and over again. I hate it they lost on free throws. I have made myself a promise...I promise to "bank" (these puns come out of nowhere) on anyone who is named "Acie" on, honestly, many levels: good name, good player, good guy apparently. Can't personally vouch for him but the rumor mill swirls with heavy compliments. I can vouch for his epidermic artwork, which is extensive, and it appears that everything is spelled correctly. That being said, Alicen, I am sorry but you have not made it to the Final Four.

Onward and upward to the grand state of Tennessee.

Both of our teams, the Commodores and the Vols made a sad exit last weekend. I did not see the Tennessee game but I did see the Vandy game and made an exciting discovery. I work out with one of the Vandy assistant coaches! How 'bout 'dem apples?!?!?! We're close, I tell ya. I do see him most evenings at the beloved Y but had NO idea that he was employed by the black and gold. We're co-laborers for crying out loud! I mean, he is tall but what exactly can you deduce from that? I have a cousin that is short but he is not a jockey. No, I'm kidding. All of my cousins are at least medium-sized.

The Vandy game was a great game. It kept my attention. I heartily enjoyed the game until the last 2.5 seconds when Biggin' did not call time out. What is going on there? Am I losing my hearing or why was there no whistle signifying time out? I've read all about the changing pivot foot of Georgetown and blah, blah, blah. To me, I did not get the whole "let's-just-bring-the-ball-down-court-and-we'll-launch-one-if-we-have-time-when-we-get-down-there" kind of attitude. I am not a basketball star. I am one of my cousin's medium-sized cousins. Someone help me with this scenario. I am quite sure that I missed something on that whole play that was called. Was there no plan and if so, was THAT it??? You lose by uno point-o and I didn't hear the whistle. Yo no Se`!!! I am asking my friend and co-laborer if his whistle broke. I'm not going to ask him now, of course...maybe in August when he's not so tender.

Then, there was my birthplace in the midwest. The Jayhawks. I don't have much to say about this team as I was only born in this state and I have not been back in 30 years or so. So they lose to UCLA. Ok. What else you got? I could get up for them for a short while but I think my Kansas blood has turned Tennessean, or at least Texan. It takes too much effort to learn a team in the middle of the tourney. Plus, I've got 1000 wedding invitations to address and I have trouble multi-tasking those particular tasks. I need to be able to get emotional at games and that just leads to mountains of "redo" invitations. You make a choice...

Those are my thoughts about the developments this past weekend. Here are some repercussions from this past weekend.

I helped a friend make picks (and by "helped a friend" I mean, "chose independently")several weekends ago about the tourney and how it would turn out. Though I have certain shallow allegiances to certain teams, I am vaguely aware that the team needs to have talent and skill (and a certain amount of money to throw at the refs....WHAT? DID I SAY THAT? I am just kidding! Seriously...) to advance to the final four and then to the finals. Here is the funny thing...


I did NOT pick one of my teams to go beyond the Elite Eight,
so...
even though they all lost,

I AM AT THE TOP OF THE POOL!!!!

Yeah for me!!!!
(I fear this will be short-lived adulation.)
Let it be known that I picked Ohio State to win the whole kit and kaboodle.
Stay tuned...

No comments: