Welcome Y'all

Hopefully the name of this blog speaks for itself. I envision it being one of humor, exhortation, random musings, theological discussion, sports, and things that impact my life and could bless yours. Sometimes it might be a verse or a funny story, a sports score that has me up in arms or a profound truth that has hit me. I pray you find your visit here blessing your heart.

Monday, March 26, 2007

The Value of Being Known - Part 2

I closed my sentiments last time by saying that there will never be anyone who knows you as well as the Lord Yahweh God knows you. No sibling, parent, spouse, child or friend can know your every thought, heartache, and challenge.

What's more is not even you can know you the way God can?

That might sound preposterous given we live in an age of "Enlightenment". Let's face it. Everyone wants to be able to tell you who you are, what you like, and what you need to do. We have therapists and counselors to tell us how bad our childhood was and how we need to love ourselves more, magazine quizzes to know what kind of friend we are and what color we would be in a box of 64 crayons, and psychics and tarrot card readers to channel our loves ones so we can make nice with them and get on with our lives. We have teachers who tell us to study more, friends who tell us to party more, and society that tell us to do more, give more, take more, work more, tolerate more, enjoy more, relax more all in the name of finding out who we are, what we like, and what we should be doing.

Here is the real enlightenment - Yahweh God knows you better than you will ever conceive of knowing yourself. He deciphers things about you that you haven't even realized are confused on your own. He ingrains things deep within you that you couldn't even fathom on your own. He orchestrates things in your life for your good and His glory where you couldn't play the simple melody line on your own. He just knows you better and more comprehensively than is available to us in our finite minds.

Psalm 139: 5-6
5 You have enclosed me behind and before,
and laid Your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain it.
David is overwhelmed by the concept that God knows him better than he could know himself. More than that, there is not a stone left unturned in our lives that He hasn't checked out thoroughly. He is not waiting for us to reveal anything about how we feel or think about anything. I don't have to help explain myself to Him. He knows my intentions and when my mind will change and where I miscommunicate things to Him. He just knows. It is the ultimate relationship. It is, by far, the most personal and intimate relationship accessible to us.
In the movie, "The Mirror Has Two Faces", Rose (played by Bah-bra Streisand) has a great quote.


"You know what I envy about those in love?
I'd love it if someone knew me, really knew me.
What I like, what I am afraid of ... what kind of toothpaste I use.
I think that...would be really wonderful."
Here is my point, even Bah-bra wants to be known and she is known by millions around the globe and still it is not enough. It will never be enough.
Sometimes I admit I get caught thinking like Ms. Streisand. Now, don't go nuts because 99% of the time I strongly disagree with her ultra-liberal stance on things. However, when she delivers those lines, I can relate to that line of thinking sometimes. However, the Lord brought this to my mind that really has made me re-think that thought process.


Your spouse, whoever it is, Scott, Jim, Henry, Brad, Trey, Blake, Mark, Charles, or Mr. Yet-To-Be-Determined, though they may be the most loving, sensitive and attentive to your needs (and I am quite certain that they are) can never compare to the love, sensitivity, and attentiveness of the Lord God, Creator of you. For example:
Your spouse knows that you like your coffee with one packet of Splenda and a splash of cream.
Your God knows that you like your coffee with 467 granules of Splenda and 1.1372 oz. of cream.
Not even you know that.


Your spouse knows that he should tell you that he loves you very sweetly and very often.
Your God knows that you would be like "buttah" in his hands if he said some certain "Alicen" words or certain "Amy" words at 18 decibels between 6:17 and 6:21 in the evening.
Not even you know the specifics of that.


Your spouse knows that you love to slip on fuzzy socks and curl up with a good love story during a thunderstorm.
Your God knows that after the thunderstorm, the most beautiful love story is when He artfully paints the arch of His promise and uses not just your typical 7 basic colors but over 150, 000 color gradients, the indigo and aqua hues reflecting the water and the shades of persimmon and corals reflecting the sun.
Not even you know the miracle of that.


To be truly known is the desire of everyone's heart. Only God fills that desire. To long for someone else to fill that desire is longing for something that is not Biblical. It is not possible for anyone to be known by anyone the way God knows His creation. He is the only one who can fill that need. Everyone else is an unworthy and sinful substitute.


Lord, I pray that I never believe the lies that there is someone who can fill this need in my life better than you can. Only you know what is best for me and that is You, Father. Remind me in my moment by moment weaknesses that only You satisfy and to expect that from someone else is unfair and unfaithful to You. Please allow me to see the facade of the cheap substitutes I replace You with and give me the strength and faith to place You back in Your rightful place.

No comments: