Welcome Y'all

Hopefully the name of this blog speaks for itself. I envision it being one of humor, exhortation, random musings, theological discussion, sports, and things that impact my life and could bless yours. Sometimes it might be a verse or a funny story, a sports score that has me up in arms or a profound truth that has hit me. I pray you find your visit here blessing your heart.

Monday, March 24, 2008

As the Pages Turn...

Every year, I make a list of books I would like to read during the year. I have to admit, "my eyes are usually bigger than my stomach" so to speak and my list is way longer than I have the time to actually accomplish the reading of these great books. I have started my readings for the year and have high hopes for making a good dent in them. I actually have finished a few. You might already have a list but here is mine for 2008.

1. Doing Things Right in Matters of the Heart (John Ensor)
2. I Saw the Lord (Anne Graham Lotz)
3. Biblical Womanhood in the Home (Nancy Leigh DeMoss)
4. Boiling Point: Understanding Men and Anger (Stephen Arterburn/David Stoop)
5. Praying the Names of God (Ann Spangler)
6. God Knows My Size (Harvey Yoder)
7. Satisfy My Thirsty Soul (Linda Dillow)
8. Mere Christianity (C.S.Lewis)
9. The Great Divorce (C.S.Lewis)
10. Safely Home (Randy Alcorn)
11. Basic Economics (Thomas Sowell)
12. The Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan)
13. Disciplines of a Godly Woman (Barbara Hughes)
14. Disciplines of a Godly Family (Kent and Barbara Hughes)
15. The Mission of Motherhood (Sally Clarkson)
16. Church History in Plain Language (Bruce Shelley)
17. Esther and Ruth: Reformed Expository Commentary (Iain M. Duguid)
18. Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother (Carolyn Mahaney)
19. Heaven (Randy Alcorn)
20. Doctrines of Grace (Boice/Ryken)
21. Systematic Theology (Wayne Grudem)
22. Redeeming Love (Francine Rivers)

Oh my goodness! So many books and this is just the first 20 that I want to read! I find myself surrounded by piles of books that: a) I want to read, b) I have started, c) I use for reference frequently, and/or d) I have finished and want to read again as soon as I can. I just love to read. Some of these on the list already are books I have read and just want to read again because it has been awhile or I remember reading something in that book that pertains to some things that I am going through now or they are just plain dadgum good! I have several more on my list but I want to see if anybody else has some good books to read that they have either heard some really great things about or have read themselves and can vouch for the quality and substance of the read. I'm up for anything.

So... tell us. What have YOU been reading lately??

4 comments:

amyomiller said...

Praying the Names of God --- great book/devotional! I have spent several weeks on some of the names it has thoroughly enhanced my prayer life! Love it. It is definitely a book I will refer to again and again!

Anonymous said...

Christi....I loved looking over your list. I can't wait to be able to read for fun. I am making a mental list;) Jon and I both began doctoral programs this year. So, as you can imagine, I am reading TONS about worship. One of the best books that I have read for my classes was written by one of my professors, Dr. Andrew Hill. It is "Enter His Courts with Praise." Absolutely amazing. In fact, I am requiring my worship ministries class that I am teaching next semester to read it, too.

I am researching the scripture songs of the Jesus People Movement, so tons of pages have been read on that topic.

Come April 30, I will have to take another look at your blog so that I can remember which ones I want to read. (that is when my class was over).

Of course, with a 3- and 4- year old, I am reading tons of kiddie books:), especially Dr. Seuss.

so good to catch up with you.

Jada

Christi said...

Jada,
Haven't read the one by your professor. I'll have to look into that one when I check off a few of these others!

kristendianne said...

I know this comment is WAY late, but I found your blog through Amy's! I read Satisfy My Thirsty Soul and LOVED it! I am actually on my third Linda Dillow book...LOVE HER!